Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

Ready...Set...Jump!!!


 My family called me Doodler.  I didn't go anywhere in a straight line, but instead took my time to explore twists and turns that made the world  interesting to me. My favorite possessions were an ancient Royal manual typewriter (discarded from the college where Dad worked), a portable reel to reel tape recorder and microphone ( a gift for my tenth birthday) and my first camera, a Kodak brownie, (a Christmas gift, around age ten, when I enrolled in a 4-H photography class).  

I can only imagine what a pain I was at family reunions, and with friends!  I cornered anyone I could and begged them to tell me  their stories.  
 










The recordings were transcribed; photographs were added;  scrapbooks were created. Although I never won a blue ribbon at the county fair, I loved everything about the process.  

Around that same time, became interested in nursing and began hospital  volunteer work as a Candy Striper when I was fourteen.  


When it was time to decide on a career path, I choose nursing, but continued writing, photography and collecting stories. 

As I look back on my nursing career, I realize I chose to work with  populations where  storytelling, and being listened to, was integral to optimal health: hospice, psychiatry, pediatrics, physical rehabilitation and assisting  refugees in Ghana. 


I retired from nursing a few years ago, to return to my interest in writing memoir and personal essay. 


Now, as a member of The Association of Personal Historians (APH), and  I am excited to resume the the work I loved as a young girl: capturing and preserving individual and family history.  Next month I will attend the annual conference and officially launch my services as Story Doodler. 

Additional information about APH available here: 

http://www.personalhistorians.org/

My equipment and skills are updated, but the passion, curiosity and excitement are decades old and ready to explore personal histories once again.   

I will use this blog to explore the process and results of working as a personal historian.  I invite you come on the journey with me.  

My website, StoryDoodler.com, with details of the services provided, will be launched soon. 









1 comment: